Work at Home Medical Transcription
Obtaining a medical transcription job may seem difficult for new MTs just starting out. Some people give up after looking for a few weeks. This is usually because they have been given unrealistic expectations from the school they were trained under.
The truth is that it can take anywhere from one to three months to get started in your first job. This is just an average. There are some medical transcriptionist that has gotten into jobs sooner, and others that it may have taken longer.
This is not any different than other careers that students go to college for years and find that it takes some time to get into their first position.
There are some things that you can do to help get into a job sooner once you have completed your training.
Here are some tips:
- Create a professional cover letter and resume for sending out to doctors and hospitals. You do not have to look just in your local area! Since transcription can be done from home, and the files are transferred through secure online servers; you can expand your job search thousands of miles.
- Have business cards made and ready to hand out to prospective healthcare clients. You can get really nice ones done at Vista Print.com at a low cost.
- Network with other transcriptionists: Many times a new MT will find out about a job opening through another MT.
- Join professional organizations such as AHDI to keep up to date of what companies are looking for when hiring MTs.
- Think outside of the box! Be creative in the ways that you research and locate healthcare providers who may be in need of a medical transcriptionist.
- Keep in mind that you can send your resume to job postings online that require more experience. Just be sure to put a cover letting in there stating that you would like for them to keep your resume on file for when they have openings for new MTs.
- Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see a lot of ads on-line for “no experience required.” Most facilities will not post these kinds of job ads online because of the huge exposure. Keep in mind that all experienced MTs had to start out brand new, just like you!
Here are some websites that may help you in your search as well.